There’s nothing to love about “love handles” or side fat. All it gives us is a bad figure. Most excess fat in the body are deposited in our abdomen, sides and back area and they can get annoying. Aside from it being an indicator of excess fat in the body, it is also very unhealthy. The most common concern when it comes to being overweight are the health risks that come with it. According to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, excess weight may increase the risk for many health problems. These health problems include type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, strokes and even cancer.
Fortunately, we have this guide made just for you to help you get rid of those love handles. These exercises, with proper execution, will melt those side fats in a matter of weeks!
No, this isn’t the weird planking fad years ago. This workout is regarded as one of the best when it comes to toning your core. And, is a very effective way to lose side fat. This definitely looks like an easy workout to do, but like all other workouts, it requires practice to perfect. The more you can do the plank, the better the results.
This exercise requires the body to stay in one position for the entire duration. You don’t need to have equipment to do this work out and you can do it just about anywhere.
Here’s how to do a plank:
- Get into a pushup position
- Your elbow should be at a 90-degree angle on your side
- Rest your entire weight in your arms
- Constantly squeeze your abdomen for the entire duration
- Try reaching 2 minutes each plank
Crunches are the most popular abdominal strength training workout. It’s proven to be the most effective ways to strengthen your core and of course, for losing side fat. However, this exercise should be done with caution, especially when you have lower back or neck problems.
Here’s how to do crunches:
- Lie on the floor, entire back and feet should be flat against the floor
- Place your hands on the side your head
- Raise your head and chest and crunch your abdomen towards your hips.
- Hold for 1 second, then go back to starting position.
- Repeat and try for 10-15 reps.
3. Side planks
This plank variation specifically targets the obliques, or the side muscles of the core. This is another effective way of losing side fat. Like the regular plank, this also requires practice to perfect. The more time spent planking, the more we develop resistance.
Here’s how to do a side plank:
- Lie on one side with the legs stacked on top of one another
- Raise your body using one arm of one side and rest your entire weight on that arm.
- Raise the opposite arm to the air for added challenge.
- Try maintaining the position for 2 minutes.
4. Side Crunches
Say good bye to love handles with this exercise. This exercise is a variation of the regular crunch, but specifically hits the obliques. Proven to lose side fat and build strength on the obliques or the sides of the abdomen.
Here’s how to do Side Crunches:
- Lie on your back. Keep your back flat on the floor.
- Place your hands on the sides of your head.
- Lift your head and shoulders slightly off the floor and keep your shoulders even.
- Raise your legs slightly above the floor.
- Move your head and shoulders toward one side and crunch your abdomen and obliques like the picture above.
- Repeat for the opposite side.
- Try getting 10-15 reps on both sides.
Of course, a good weight loss workout is nothing without doing cardio exercises. Doing cardio exercises not only helps in weight loss and staying lean, but also strengthens our heart and lungs. There are many types of cardio workout but it all depends on what type of body you are going for.
Here are the most common types of cardio workouts to help you lose side fats:
Always remember to stay hydrated while doing these workouts! A good way to be refreshed post-workout is to drink a protein shake made with Elite Protein! Enjoy the journey to finally losing those annoying love handles and stay on the road to optimal health!
Add these workouts to your routine! Check out more of our workout guides for more routine ideas: